I am re-reading a book about three men who gave their all and tried to break the barrier of running a 4 minute mile. How I would care about this at any given time is slim to none, but for the fact that one of those men is my best friend Susie Santee's father. The book is called ' The Perfect Mile' by Neal Bascomb. www.nealbascomb.com .
Susie was sort of embarrassed at 17 to tell me about her Dad, she had heard the stories and saw the press clippings from something that occurred 8 years before her birth. The first time I met Wes was in his office in 1979 with his glory days plastered all over the back wall, Susie admonished me to please, please not ask him about it or else we'd be there all day. I wanted to but did not . How I wished I had. I would have had 30 years more insight to this remarkable feat and remarkable man. Read it. I promise it offers lots of wisdom about character and life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Santee
Stephanie and Susie. Taken at my daughter Jordan's wedding. September 08.

No comments:
Post a Comment